Answer: Yes, shredded coconut is keto-friendly, however, it should be consumed in moderation due to its relatively high carbohydrate content.
Despite its high fat content, the carbohydrate level in shredded coconut must be noted:
- High in Fat: With nearly 28g of total fat, shredded coconut is a good source of healthy fats that are essential to the ketogenic diet.
- Carbohydrate Content: Shredded coconut contains around 52g of carbs per 100g, which is relatively high for a keto diet. However, the 9.9g of dietary fiber it contains can somewhat offset the total net carbs.
- Sugar Levels: It’s important to be mindful of the sugar content in shredded coconut, which is nearly 37g per 100g. While natural, these sugars can still impact your daily carbohydrate intake on a keto diet.
- Moderation is Key: Given the carbohydrate content, shredded coconut should be consumed in moderation on a keto diet to avoid going over the daily carb limit.
- Zero Cholesterol: It’s worth noting that shredded coconut contains 0mg of cholesterol, making it a heart-healthy choice.
So, while shredded coconut is not a low-carb food, it can still fit into a well-planned ketogenic diet when consumed in controlled amounts.
- Amount Per ServingCalories456
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 26.4g 132%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 285mg 12%
- Potassium 361mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 9.9g 40%
- Sugars 36.75g
- Protein 3.13g 7%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.