Answer: Yes, sour cream is keto-friendly. Despite its carbohydrate content, it can still be included in a keto diet in moderate amounts.
Sour cream, with its rich and tangy flavor, can be a delicious addition to a ketogenic diet:
- High Fat Content: Sour cream has a high fat content (19.35g per 100g), which aligns with the ketogenic diet’s principle of high-fat, low-carb eating.
- Moderate Carbohydrates: Although sour cream contains some carbohydrates (4.63g per 100g), it can still be incorporated into a keto diet, provided that overall daily carbohydrate intake remains within the keto limit.
- Low in Sugar: Sour cream has a relatively low sugar content (3.41g per 100g), making it less likely to disrupt ketosis, the metabolic state that a keto diet aims to achieve.
- Protein Source: With 2.44g of protein per 100g, sour cream also contributes to your protein intake, an essential component of any balanced diet.
- Mindful Consumption: Despite its keto-friendly profile, it’s essential to consume sour cream in moderation, as it is high in calories (198 kcal per 100g) and saturated fats (10.14g per 100g).
Therefore, while sour cream can fit into a ketogenic diet, it’s crucial to be mindful of portion sizes to maintain a healthy and balanced keto diet.
- Amount Per ServingCalories198
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 10.14g 51%
- Cholesterol 59mg 20%
- Sodium 31mg 2%
- Potassium 125mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
- Sugars 3.41g
- Protein 2.44g 5%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.