"Introduction: Yam and the Keto Diet"
Yams are a popular food in Malaysia, known for their versatility in various dishes. However, when it comes to the keto diet, it’s important to consider their nutritional profile.
- High in Carbohydrates: Yams contain 20g of carbohydrates per 100g. This is significantly high, especially considering the keto diet typically limits daily carb intake to around 20-50g.
- Low in Fat: Yams have a very low fat content, with only 0.08g per 100g. The keto diet emphasizes high-fat foods, and yams do not meet this criterion.
- Moderate in Fiber: While yams do contain dietary fiber, the amount is not enough to significantly offset the high carbohydrate content.
- Low in Protein: With only 1.73g of protein per 100g, yams are not a good source of protein, another macronutrient that is emphasized in the keto diet.
In conclusion, while yams are nutritious and beneficial in a balanced diet, they are not suitable for a keto diet due to their high carbohydrate and low fat content.
- Amount Per ServingCalories82
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.02g 1%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 12mg 1%
- Potassium 495mg 15%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 1.73g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.