Malaysian Style Keto Ayam Goreng (KFC)
Drawing inspiration from Malaysian’s favourite fried chicken – KFC, this Ayam Goreng recipe introduces a unique twist by using a coating of ground almonds and psyllium husk. The marination of ginger and chives elevates the flavour profile, while the addition of parmesan cheese gives it a savoury edge. It’s a perfect fusion of traditional taste with a modern touch.
Translated by Ketogrocer. Original recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct09dq3vqS8
Chicken thighs – 6 pieces, split in the middle
Ginger – 1-inch piece, sliced lengthwise
Chives – 1 cup, finely chopped
Egg – 1 piece
Ground almonds – 1/2 cup
Finely blended Psyllium husk – 1/2 cup
Parmesan cheese – 1/2 cup
Salt (Garam) – to taste
Black pepper – to taste
- Preparation of Chicken: Clean the chicken thighs and pat them dry. Make a split in the middle of each thigh. Gently tap the chicken on the left and right sides to flatten them slightly. This will help in even cooking.
- Marination: In a large bowl, combine the sliced ginger, chopped chives, salt, and black pepper. Mix well and then add the chicken thighs, ensuring they are well coated with the marinade. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
- Preparing the Coating: In a separate bowl, whisk the egg. In another bowl, combine the ground almonds, finely blended psyllium husk, and parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Coating the Chicken: Once the chicken is marinated, dip each piece into the whisked egg, ensuring it’s well coated. Then, dredge the chicken piece in the almond-psyllium-parmesan mixture, ensuring it’s fully covered.
- Frying: Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the coated chicken pieces into the pan. Fry until the chicken is golden brown and crispy on all sides. This might take around 7-10 minutes per side, depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- Serving: Once fried, remove the chicken pieces and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauce or side dishes.